About Cafe Antonio Sessions
Café Antonio Sessions
Los Banos Indie Music Community
I. WHAT IS CAFÉ ANTONIO SESSIONS?
1) Café Antonio Sessions is a community of musicians and music production outfit created to support and showcase Los Banos-based indie artists inside and outside of UPLB.
2) Cafe Antonio Sessions is a series of gigs held twice a month conceptualized for the purpose of enabling bands with similar musical genres and/or musical tastes to play together in a single venue, specifically in Café Antonio.
Our Community’s Preferred Genres:
Indie rock, indie pop, alternative rock, soft rock, acoustic, folk, pop punk, emo, singer-songwriter, piano rock, experimental, jazz, soul, piano pop, electronica, experimental, funk, and any other possible combination of those genres.
Café Antonio Sessions was the brainchild of friends Eric Soliven, Jabez Flores, and Jegar delos Reyes. Taking inspiration from AOL Sessions, Levi’s Pioneer Sessions, Paste Presents, VH1 Storytellers, MTV Unplugged, and acoustic nights at the now defunct Kofiholics Anonymous, the three friends decided to start their own music scene at Café Antonio where Jabez and Jegar are employees and Eric is a frequent customer.
Café Antonio Sessions held its first gig at Café Antonio, Los Banos in July 3, 2010 featuring Eric Soliven and Lenard Gabriel of indie rock band, LIME, and Jabez Flores and Gelo Arboleda of acoustic punk band, Juniper Face the Corner. After three intimate acoustic gigs, Calamba/Los Banos-based OPM rock band, Yield Avenue, joined in the group. Soon afterward, UPLB-based artists such as singer-songwriter, Gabes Torres, and dance rock quintet, Segatron became our first student recruits forming the core of our roster of artists.
III. CONCEPT GIGS
Cafe Antonio Sessions has two kinds of gigs: the FEATURE GIG, where we highlight either one of our own artists or a newly recruited artist; or all artists in our roster performing original compositions; and the TRIBUTE NIGHT, where we showcase the music of influential musicians, an era of music, or a specific genre of music.
Cafe Antonio Sessions sets itself apart from other gigs by challenging artists in our roster to participate in Tribute Nights where they learn to play music genres outside of their comfort zones.
Cafe Antonio Sessions also aims to make each performance a conceptual gig wherein specific set designs, posters, and promotions are required to differentiate one gig from the other.
IV. RECRUITMENT AND REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN
1) Artists and bands should approach any Café Antonio Sessions staff member and express their interest to join. Or it may happen the other way around. Café Antonio Sessions staff members will approach potential artists and bands after watching them perform in a gig and ask them to join the group.
2) Interested artists and bands must submit either an MP3 or video of their original music through Facebook or any social networking site.
3) Bands should have at least one member from the UPLB campus. He/she can either be a student, an employee, alumni, or a dropout.
4) Interested and potential artists and bands should watch at least ONE Café Antonio Sessions gig before being allowed to perform. A minimum of two band members should watch the gig and talk to the Café Antonio Sessions staff.
V. RULES, REGULATIONS, AND FEES
1) Café Antonio Sessions allows all its artists in the roster to use all the equipment and instruments for free. There will be a Membership/Maintenance fee of Php 100 a month from each artist or band to help support and fund our equipment upkeep and our meals, merchandise, and transportation.
2) All artists and bands are encouraged, not required, to help in the setup of the stage and in the dismantling and handling of the set design, equipment, and instruments.
3) All artists and bands are encouraged, not required, to watch Sessions gigs of their fellow artists and bands at Café Antonio.
VI. PERKS AND BENEFITS
1) A free regular venue to play in
2) Free meals
3) Gig photos and videos that are immediately uploaded to YouTube, Facebook, and other social networking sites
4) Assistance in CD/album distribution
5) Free promotion (through posters, flyers, videos)
6) Gig posters
* all this with no written contract or commitment
VII. PERSONNEL AND ROSTER OF ARTISTS
Jabez Flores - Head Event Coordinator
Francis “Khitz” Contemplacion - Assistant Event Coordinator
Ian Soliven - Logistics Head/Treasurer
Eric Soliven - External Relations
Gelo Arboleda - Campus Coordinator
Jeg delos Reyes & Julius Eusebio - Graphic Artists
Zadl Suministrado& Daniel Richard Sta. Romana - Official Photographers
ACTIVE ROSTER OF ARTISTS:
Juniper Face the Corner
Sitting on a Cornflake